User Selectable Date/Time Formats

Guest AtariAge

I've recently switched from phpBB to IPB and one feature I am missing is the ability for users to select their own date/timestamp format. phpBB allows users to specify the exact format that the date/time is displayed in, as used by the PHP date() function. I know there are a few date/timestamp options in the ACP, but these are global settings. I have many foreign users on my boards (I am in the US), and they are disappointed that the ability for them to change this is no longer available.

This would make a nice addition to the base IPB forum, especially since many forums will attract members beyond their country's borders. You can change the time zone, which is nice, but being able to change the way the date and time are displayed would be icing on the cake.

..Al

Tacking on a bit here, but the setting that might kill the "Today/Yesterday" convention ... http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=168416 was pegged to PM traffic, but noting that when doing something like "print Topic" to get the whole or better part of a discussion results in the same problem ... one can have posts separated by months, but the 'collected' copy of snapshots taken on different dates will have the "Today" showing, even though specific posts were days/weeks/etc. apart ...

Tacking on a bit here, but the setting that might kill the "Today/Yesterday" convention ...

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=168416

was pegged to PM traffic, but noting that when doing something like "print Topic" to get the whole or better part of a discussion results in the same problem ... one can have posts separated by months, but the 'collected' copy of snapshots taken on different dates will have the "Today" showing, even though specific posts were days/weeks/etc. apart ...

I'm willing to forego the Relative dates if users are able to format date/timestamps the way they'd like. The post you link to does make an interesting point, although I doubt many people are saving conversations in that manner. Ideally, users would also be able to decide whether they want to view dates in a Relative format, as well as choose the exact formatting of the date and time. :)

..Al

Archived