Restrict avatars to subscription buyers

Guest allpar

I don't really like avatars, but I'd like subscribers to be able to use them - especially to support subscriptions to fund the extra resources required to show avatars. At the moment I can't restrict avatars based on membership; I can only eliminate external ones altogether (always a good idea IMHO because they often hijack other sites' images) and allow subscribers to upload their own.

Is this possible as a hack or future feature?

You could disable remote url avatars, and then disable avatar uploads to all groups, except the paid members group. But this is just a "turn around", since you would be disabling remote url avatars to paid members as well. But at least they would be able to upload the images to your server.

Anyway, I agree with you that the "allow the use of avatars" option should be a per group setting...

• 3 weeks later...

Anyway, I agree with you that the "allow the use of avatars" option should be a per group setting...

:o Wow. I can't believe it's not! It definitely needs to be.

I have been thinking about implementing a subscription system on my board and that would be one of the things that paying members would get. I just assumed avatars were set per group not globally.

Archived