Custom View New Posts

Guest kirkup_xp

Hi

Basically, we want a system for a custom View New Posts which only looks at selected forums. Users would have an option (in their User Control Panel) which selects which forums they view new posts in. Then, when you click View New Posts, it only displays the new posts from those forums.

I'm guessing that it would be fairly simple to implement - an extra field in the members table, and a change to the query. The User Interface might be more tricky, but ideally we'd have all the forums tagged by default, so until a user deselects them they get the normal "View New Posts" action.

Also, if its not too difficult, it would be great to be able to make some forums 'permenantly selected' - an Updates forum. All members would be forced to have these updates listed in their new posts.

Our forums getting busier and busier and some members arent interested in all the topic areas that others post in.

Peter
http://www.blue-room.org.uk

• 5 months later...

*kick*

This is a feature which is also requested on my forums. Earlier (with vB ;)) you could make a url with all fora which you would like to see with new posts but I haven't find a way to do this in ipb. Also searched for a mod on invisionize without results. Maybe a feature for 2.1.x?

you can exclude forums via the adminCP.

View New Posts: Block Forums

Select the forums you don't wish to search for new posts when using either the 'get active topics' or 'view new posts' links. You may select more than one.

I see no need for users to be able to exclude forums, so this should be left as a mod. With the UserCP's new modular structure, you could do this simply with a new file, a skin edit and SQL querys - no file editing needed!

you can exclude forums via the adminCP.

I see no need for users to be able to exclude forums, so this should be left as a mod. With the UserCP's new modular structure, you could do this simply with a new file, a skin edit and SQL querys - no file editing needed!

That's with the search in/on Global_header. He wants to "limit" the forums that the "view new posts" gives. I think.

In 2.1 you can limit the forums that View New Posts returns topics from, however, I would like to make this a user option rather than a global one. My forum is for several specialties and it would be useful if members could search only for topics within their specialities.

In 2.1 you can limit the forums that View New Posts returns topics from, however, I would like to make this a user option rather than a global one. My forum is for several specialties and it would be useful if members could search only for topics within their specialities.

Reasonable request ... +1

• 6 years later...

Archived