Smilie Ordering....

Guest lkeith

Well, I'll side with the topic starter. It would be nice to be able to set the order on emoticons. I've added new emoticons over time and it would be nice if I could easily get them in a more logical order. Right now the only way I can think to do it would be to delete them all and then re-upload one at a time in the order I want. Kind of a pain.

They are still just emoticons, regardless.

It would be like adding a feature so you can order skin functions inside the PHP files by something else then alphabetical order.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I just don't see the similarity. The skin functions inside the PHP files aren't used directly on a regular basis by almost every user on some boards: emoticons are.
Maybe the default set doesn't need reordering, but when more are added they should have the ability to be re-ordered.

If Dean has a modification out for it, then surely it shows that its a feature requested by many Invision users?

If IPS included all Deans hacks it would be bloatware(no offence to Dean) because most people don't need them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's why most everything should be an option to use or not. I already consider IPB to be bloatware when I look back at how my site use to look when using IkonBoard 1.0. Simplicity is nice, but sometimes alot of various options are nice too. If you are worried about having to use bloatware, you should consider switching to something like this.

• 4 weeks later...

I disagree with outlaw's "they are only emoticons"..maybe for him they are...but for many people they add a certain atmosphere to the board. If a board has many emoticons a certain order might be preffered to set the tome of things. I have many emoticons on both my boards and was not happy with the way IPB self ordered them. I found Dean's mod(one of many good ones! :thumbsup: ) and this has helped me arrange the emoticons the way I want to see them shown. I think it's more estheticly pleasin than just having smiley's trown wherever IPB puts them.

I'd also be interested in a feature which not only orders emoticons but arranges them into catagories made up by the admin. So certain smiley's would be in certain groups(ie....NFL Teams, Default group, Crazy, Signs, etc..whatever.) I have seen 1.3 boards with this so I know there is a mod..but I have not yet found one for 2.0x.

I think it would be a great feature in IPB :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

They are still just emoticons, regardless.

It would be like adding a feature so you can order skin functions inside the PHP files by something else then alphabetical order.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The comparison is silly, Outlaw! I hope you can see it for your own sake. ;)

Even if it is not so important for me, I know, there are a lot of members that takes these little images very seriously. They even notice if I have replaced a wink smilie with another that has a shorter mouth by 1 pixel, or to which side the blinking smilie is blinking!

And also for me it seems quite important thing, so I can order them more logically that they are easier to find (and as we can read here, there are other reasons for it too), especially if there are quite a lot of emoticons. It is a quite important and popular feature and not too hard to implement, to be included in IPB.

I'd also be interested in a feature which not only orders emoticons but arranges them into catagories made up by the admin. So certain smiley's would be in certain groups(ie....NFL Teams, Default group, Crazy, Signs, etc..whatever.) I have seen 1.3 boards with this so I know there is a mod..but I have not yet found one for 2.0x.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doesn't vBulletin have that feature, or was it also only a mod that I saw?

Janis

Archived