IPB Portal Suggestion

Guest chefelf

I really like the simplicity of IPB Portal and have been using it for a little while now. One feature I was hoping to see in the 2.0 release (after having wanted it in 1.3) was the ability to select posts to be displayed by forums AND by users.

Example: In IPB Portal you can select what forums you want to display on the IPB Portal index page. Would it be possible to further refine this by selecting individual users or user groups as well? This would give you the ability to say: Display posts in forums 4, 12, 18 and only by users 1, 63, 218 and 642.

That way you could essential assign particular users "authorship" priveleges for the portal page rather than having to restrict forums to other users or, alternately, display posts by any users on the portal page.

I don't know if this feature would be helpful to anyone else but it is something that would be very, very useful to me and seems like it would be relatively easy to implement.

Thank you! :)

Also, does anyone know of any way to make IPB Portal NOT list pinned topics? I think this would be a handy feature as in a portal system you wouldn't really want to have pinned topics remained pinned. It's handy in the forum but not on the portal main page.

Is IPB Portal abandoned in anticipation of Invision Power Dynamic? I can't wait for Invision Power Dynamic, however, I wonder if these simple feature requests are even being considered for IPB Portal. :)

Thanks.

Don't feel bad that you wont get a response on Portal suggestions. Its been my experience that almost nobody thinks the Portal is important. We'll just have to keep an eye out for some 3rd party hacks. Maybe we can start coding some ourselves? That's it. I'm going to start diving into php tomorrow. :)

Glad to see someone out there thinks its important. :)

It's really a very simple tool that can do quite a bit. There are tons of extra features that should, in theory, be easy to add. However, with IP Dynamic coming out, I'm sure it will get swept under the rug.

I'm really interested in filtering forums by user or user group. It seems like it should be so easy to do. I know a little PHP (mostly from modding IPB software, other software and compiling some simple code). If you need my help with anything let me know, though you are probably more well versed than I am.

Thanks for the reply! :)

Archived