Members submitting moderated posts

Guest K. T. Walrus

(I posted this in another forum, but just realized it should go here so I'm posting it again here).

The current IPB behavior after a member makes a post to a moderated forum is really starting to annoy me.

Right now, all you get, from the member's point of view, is the Thanks page that quickly is replaced and the post is no longer visible to the member until it is approved.

What should happen is that queued posts submitted a member are visible to that member even if it has yet to be moderated. I suggest a new RenderRow template or a parameter to the existing template that marks (e.g., a different row color) the queued post so it is clear to the member that the post is pending moderation. This would go for queued topics too in how they show up in topics lists.

This way, the boinkit page would look the same (except for the pending moderation mark) as unmoderated posts.

I hope this will be implemented in the upcoming IPB update release so member's don't get so confused as to where their new post went.

As mentioned in the other suggestion thread you made I agree with this. So many times users will post 6 or 7 times before finally seeing that posts are moderated. The moderators then have to waist time removing the double, triple, etc, posts.

I'd like to see this feature in an upcoming release :thumbsup:

I definitely like this idea.. But I would urge for it to be a group setting.. "Can see their own queued posts/topics?"
and "Can see their own hidden/unapproved posts/topics?"

So that if it's in que, they can see it if selected, but if it's not deleted but just not approved, then they can't see it.

Would be useful for a "feedback" forum, then the feature could be tweaked so that a mod/admin replying to a topic wouldn't automatically approve a topic, therefore letting the member to see the topic and all replies in it, so it could be used like a support system.

In case that was confusing...

The way it is now, member makes a post in a moderated forum, then the post goes into que. Admin replies to it, then the topic automatically becomes approved. If you "hide" the original/first post, then the topic becomes invisible again. If the aboved mentioned features were set up, then one of the flags could be changed to be more like "visible/invisible to all" and the other to be "visible/invisible to member". That way, the member who made the post/topic could see what they said even if others couldn't, or they could not see it at all.

For a support-ticket based system, it would be a necessity to make it so that topics wouldn't automatically get "approved" because an admin replied to it. It would stay hidden to all but the member who started the topic, that way they could read it. Then they could reply to it and so on. :)

I do not agree with your last suggestion Dacity2. The reason is, you are asking for a large more complicated system to be merged with a very simple one.
I created a forum mod for 1.3 that did what you are asking. I thought about the same things you just said in a way. However I found it far simpler to just create a new forum type that only allowed the forum mod(s) and member who created the post to see and reply to it.

Along the lines of a better mod queue. What you all are suggesting sounds good...
This is what I would have done for topic moderation.
1)Member posts in a mod queued forum.
2)Member is redirected letting them know that their topic must be reviewed before it becomes active.
3)In the topic list, their topic is there. However, it is locked and in the topic desc read "Topic is queued for moderation". And no other members can see the topic.

This way the member knows that their topic has indeed been made, but it is not approved yet.

The same guidlines could be used for post mod queues, with a comment of "Post is awaiting mod approval" int he begining of the post.

How's that sound?

-Digi-

If its locked then they can't see it and may feel they left something out.

The whole point behind what I said was 2 levels of deciding if the member can see it or not.

Is it theres? If not and it's unapproved/hidden, they can't see it.

If it is, then is it set to be unapproved, or to be hidden? If hidden, member cannot see it, even if they made the post.

If it's just unapproved, then providing that that forum (or member group they are in) is set to let them see their own unapproved posts, they can see it.

Member group option for seeing self-unapproved posts: yes/no/forum default

Forum settings, member can read own unapproved topics when allowed? yes/no

I agree with Dacity, it should not be locked.
However, I would like to see it like this:

The user posts in the topic. Then the topic is marked with a special icon of some sort that is added to the legend at the bottom of the page. Then they are unable to double post but have the option to edit the post before it is approved. The Member can see their post before it is approved, but the post is darkened to show that the post has not been approved yet.

Then after the post is approved, they are no longer able to edit the post. (this should be an optional feature and turned off by default.)

As mentioned in the other suggestion thread you made I agree with this. So many times users will post 6 or 7 times before finally seeing that posts are moderated. The moderators then have to waist time removing the double, triple, etc, posts.

I'd like to see this feature in an upcoming release :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They erased previous promises like IPB will always have a free trial and some not duplicated request about these promises too.

Where does closed mean not editable? I only said closed because that way there is no security risk in having an unapproved post "posted" before approval.

-Digi-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If a thread is closed, it cannot be posted to. In order to edit a post in a topic, you must be able to post to it. I'll leave you at that point and see if you can figure it out the rest of the way.

My lord...I'm done designing this now. Anyone with any vision understands that when you are creating something there are no limits. A mod queued post that is "locked" doesn't mean that the user could not edit their own post. The post doesn't even exist yet "technically" why couldn't I make it work like that? The "locked" view is there to let the user know that the topic has yet to be approved. It was a simple work around to not doing what gburnes suggested. That only because I didn't even think of doing that.

Regardless of HOW it is presented graphicly (whether locked or has a special icon) what I was suggesting is what you are looking for correct?

-Digi-

I think we need to stop over thinking this one.

My opinion was and still is that what is needed is that queued posts should be visible to the post author (in addition to it being visible to moderators) and that the post (or topic) should be highlighted some way to distinguish it from posts (or topics) that are visible to everyone else.

Do that and then the action taken after submitting a queued post can be identical to submitting an unmoderated post.

I think it is as simple as that.

lol thanks for the slap...agreed I'm willing to be that it is a VERY small change in code too ;) *runs off to look*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a little more complicated than you might first think. Otherwise, I would have just made the change myself. Basically, whether queries retrieve topics that are queued or not is currently a matter of all or nothing. Now, you will have to change those queries to also get the queued posts where the starter_id is the current member id. You need to do this for the topics lists as well as the topic display itself. Then you need to change the display of the topic lists and the topic itself. You will have to change more than just a couple files (like handling Search results too).

It isn't that hard of a mod, but to do it right is more than a "VERY small change". I'd prefer that Matt just implement this once and put it in 2.0.2 (due this week) rather than hacking this in myself. It shouldn't take him more than a few hours to cut this in.

Archived