Auto-Closing Topics

Guest Amir2090

If you wanted to do this to all topics within a certain forum or something like that I'm sure you could do it via the scheduler thing.

You could easily have the 'state' changed by an SQL statement according to the 'last_post'... all you would need to do is decide how long ago the last post would have to be before the topic is automatically closed, and (optionally) decide which forums you wanted to apply this to (choose these via 'forum_id').

Regarding editing posts, I don't think that is necessary as such - you could just set it so users can't edit posts after 30 days or something (via ACP - already a feature).

In any case, I think this suggestion is already implemented for IPB 2.1 - closing a poll at a certain time is, but I'm roughly sure it is for the whole topic too.

i'm sorry, maybe i did not understand your reply, but my point is different: the "problem" i'm focusing on lies in the fact that even when a topic is closed (either automatically or by a moderator) the single users that have posted can still edit what they've typed. This can easily lead to further discussions on why a topic was closed when there is no more evident proof of the post(s) that caused the topic to be closed.
It's like, a discussion is closed, but not purged, and stored for archival purposes, so no more replies are allowed, but what has already been said can be edited or deleted! Isn't that a contradiction? Closing a topic in my opinion should imply reducing it to a TOTAL "read only" thing.

Well if you're talking about "in general" when a topic is closed then it is a separate issue to this one I think; assuming that isn't the current behaviour - can't say it's something I've tried, as I stop my members editing their posts relatively soon after they've made their post.

I do agree that once a topic is closed only mods/admin should have the ability to edit posts - just as you can give them the ability to reply to closed topics.

However, in this context (auto closing after x days), providing you set it so members can't edit posts after they're x days old they won't be able to anyway. To me, even if you wish to allow your members the ability to edit their posts for a long while, something like 7 days is plenty long enough so you should always set a cut-off for when they can edit.

once a topic is closed only mods/admin should have the ability to edit posts - just as you can give them the ability to reply to closed topics.

yes. :)

maybe this whole idea was a bit off-topic, since it can actually "in general" be appliead to all closing cases, but specifically i thought it would be a "natural extension" of the auto-closing feature.

plus, i'm still running 1.3.1 final so i didn't even know about any ACP setting about the cut-off time allowed to edit. . .
:P

• 6 months later...

I could really use this auto-close topics feature. 2.1 already have auto-start topics based on a schedule, why not add auto-close as well? :)

:lol: :lol: ............... Where have you been? First of all, I'm confused as to where this "auto-start topics" feature is. Second, there is already a feature to auto-open and auto-close a topic. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, I just thought this was extremely funny.

:lol: :lol: ............... Where have you been? First of all, I'm confused as to where this "auto-start topics" feature is. Second, there is already a feature to auto-open and auto-close a topic. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, I just thought this was extremely funny.

I haven't upgraded to 2.1 yet :P :P

Archived