Refer Member

Guest Sire

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wouldn't be bloat to have a simplistic refer-member feature that can be easily replaced with an enhanced one designed by a modder. Even more so if it were to be in the tools & scripts section like ssi.php is. The idea I'm more in favor of is the pre-inclusion of it *if* it's there, like the blog and gallery.

i had ordered a mod like this where members can refer other members and when they rtegister they select a forum username as a referer if anyone, worked well and they had showed it in their profile and topic view

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

is this available for 2.x IPB ?

If you ask me vB is much more bloated than IPB. :-"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

agreed. I wasn't calling IPB bloated.

It's damaging in my opinion when this accusation (bloat! BLOAT!) creeps into most feature suggestions by the same few people. It isn't encouraging at all. Let the developer take this into consideration. This forum is discouraging. Reading a GET variable to pass an integer and record it does not add bloat. Non-developers should avoid commenting on something they don't know much about.

I said VB is looking better everday based on it's own merits. It is. That isn't to say it's better than IPB. I have a large forum. I'd like to see it grow, and reward my members for helping it grow.

It's damaging in my opinion when this accusation (bloat! BLOAT!) creeps into most feature suggestions by the same few people.  It isn't encouraging at all.  Let the developer take this into consideration.  This forum is discouraging.  Reading a GET variable to pass an integer and record it does not add bloat.  Non-developers should avoid commenting on something they don't know much about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats just like saying people shouldn't post their support for mods, hopefully you get my point.

Just a heads up, but Outlaw is one of many mod writers.  I think he knows something about it.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL yeah, I know. That's kind of hard to miss with the big signature image declaring it. ;) It's still true that passing a GET variable and recording it is hardly bloat. So for a developer, it should make you wonder.

LOL yeah, I know.  That's kind of hard to miss with the big signature image declaring it.  ;)  It's still true that passing a GET variable and recording it is hardly bloat.  So for a developer, it should make you wonder.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the initial request was for something a bit more complicated than that. :thumbsup:

LOL yeah, I know.  That's kind of hard to miss with the big signature image declaring it.  ;)  It's still true that passing a GET variable and recording it is hardly bloat.  So for a developer, it should make you wonder.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

+ The ability to give rewards as requested.
+ The ability to view who's referred who through the Admin CP.
+ The ability to remove the person that referred them.

It's not as simple as just getting and saving it. ;)

I think the initial request was for something a bit more complicated than that. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed Dacity added quite an extensive feature list to his idea of it. Mine was much simpler. I was thinking of just recording the extra user id, maybe even in an additional profile field. This is practically already in the code.

I could do my own mysql query to see who has referred the most, or referred so many members and reward them myself.

+ The ability to give rewards as requested.

+ The ability to view who's referred who through the Admin CP.

+ The ability to remove the person that referred them.

It's not as simple as just getting and saving it. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See above. I was thinking about more like what early vbulletin 2.x had. A very simple referral tracking system.

I noticed Dacity added quite an extensive feature list to his idea of it.  Mine was much simpler.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which users will want expanded to something more then just something that logs and saves referrals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is why I started taking the position of having the feature be pre-included as optional and have a simple version of it in the Tools & Scripts like the SSI is. Then someone could install and use it if they want it, but the files used for the feature could also be completely separate so that replacing them with enhanced versions (ie, made by a modder) would be as easy as just uploading the new files and *poof*, installed.

Yes, I know it's not quite as easy as I have said it, but it can be done. For the most part, skin changes should be minimal (and possibly it's own separate .php file, as with the language files).

But a simple referral feature, where the new member could select "user name, user id, other" and in a box fill in the information (that would be confirmed) would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I want to bump this because I see some competing sites taking advantage of vBulletin's refer feature to grow faster than my own forum is. Members like to help, but really like to get credit for helping bring new members to a forum.

Archived