Banned and Validating Members

Guest Sonic98

If someone is in these two groups, wouldn't it make sense for these 2 primary groups to override any permissions masks or secondary groups. I just moved my 2nd name to the validating group, and I'm still able to do all the stuff I was able to do before. Something needs to be done to keep group options and masks from cancelling each other. There needs to be an option for each group like "can permission masks other than default override this group?" or something like that.

I also think the same should be true of of secondary member groups. There should also be an "can secondary member groups override this permission mask?" Or at least an option to choose which options to inherit from which mask or group. IT could be similar to how to check the different permissions.

The only reason I even use second groups is because you can't use Post Office with masks.

THe problem is all these different masks and groups can cancel out each other. You can give people too much power without trying to. I mean if I add someone to a mask now. IT overrides them being moved to the banned or validating group. I think we need groups that can't be overridden.

I tried that. Same thing.

But....
I think I might see the problem now. All the permission masks have the same permissions as members, plus whatever forum that mask is specifically for. I'll see what happens if I only set those masks to the forum they're specifically for.

Well that didn't work. They can still see everything that is selected for their masks. If I change the forum permissions it does nothing. But if I change the permission masks themselves so they don't have access to any forums,what is set in the primary mask is overwritten.

I went into the "group1" permission mask and I remove show permissions for all forums except the one that mask has special access to. Now I can't see any forums with this name.I have to add this name to the validating permission mask for it to act right.

I've had this problem before. I have to set my admins to the admin permission mask not just the group eventhough the default mask of the group is the Admin Mask. I also said before what is set in the forum permission settings and the permission masks themselves should automatically match up.

They should probably make it where the secondary masks add to the primary mask not override it.

They really need to figure out a way to make this work. I think there should be certain groups that are maskless. Or groups that if they go to the mask overrides lose effect. Why move someone to the bannded list or have certain permissions for validating if it really won't make a difference?

Actually the secondary group doesn't add anything because the overriding permission masks cancels them out. The group won't see ABC if their none of their overriding masks are set to ABC even if one of the primary or secondary groups uses that mask by default.

That's why I have to admin my admins to the admin mask rather than them be in the Primary Admin alone being enough.

There is an option to speficially ban someone.

I think an option where "Secondary groups can add to this as a primary group?"

Defaulting to yes, of course. But can be set to no so that if it's the primary group and you don't want that group to be able to pick up additional permissions/powers/features/etc, then they can't no matter how many additional groups they are members of. (But only when it's the primary, not a secondary to another group that allows it)

Archived