Guest KamWest

Sure...

post-17707-1100201053.gif

p_quote.gif

post-17707-1100201066.gif

p_mq_add.gif

post-17707-1100201081.gif

p_mq_remove.gif

I agree it's a cleaner look, and also conveys the message (this isn't where you reply!).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please please please "MULTIQUOTE [ ]" in blue and "MULTIQUOTE [X]" (or checkmarked box instead of an X) in the pink? :D :D :D

That's if you're able to make the button longer so it'll all fit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

May I say thank you for these buttons - I have just installed them on my forum, after having all the problems aforementioned. These should hopefully solve a lot of problems.

Thanks! :D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is another difference between Reply and "Add Reply" -- and its obvious in Threaded View. If you click, "Reply" on a post, your post is a child of the post you're replying to. If you click "Add Reply" at the top or bottom of the page, your post is at the top level.

• 6 months later...

I think with the beta for 2.1 coming out it's time to re-raise this debate. I'm very dissapointed to see that the situation in 2.1 has not changed at all - the same buttons etc are still being used.

IPB bods: Please, please, you can see the stength of opinion on this issue. The multi-quote option is brilliant, but presented badly, and the fix is simple - possibly even just use the buttons presented here in the final version of IPB or use something similar - this is about 10 minutes work, if that, so it's really not hard to implement and would greatly improve the usefulness of the forum.

The two quote buttons are a major source of confusion for users. It raised its head as soon as I did the upgrade to 2.1, so I updated the graphics to say +quote and "quote

This solved my immediate problems. People didn't understand the multiquote so left it alone

However I recently organised a social event for my online community to meet IRL and guess what... nearly half of the people that attended wanted to know how to use the quote and multiquote buttons.

It's nearly as bad as the "report" button getting used by newbies (so bad I had to switch off report to moderator on one of my forums).

How about:
1) better graphics
2) downplaying the quote buttons and making Add Reply the main focus of the users attention
3) ACP option to disable multiquote

I'd agree with everyone's sentiments here... I spend a lot of wasted time nipping in to edit people's posts for unnecessary quoted text just to cut down on database bloat. Larger databases cost more to host.

It's a major grumble that could so easily be fixed ;)

Just realised I've raised this topic before, back in Dec 2004...
http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=157826

btw my member name has nothing to do with this issue

The two quote buttons are a major source of confusion for users. It raised its head as soon as I did the upgrade to 2.1, so I updated the graphics to say +quote and "quote

2.1 is still in beta with no upgrade support. How'd you upgrade to 2.1?

However I recently organised a social event for my online community to meet IRL and guess what... nearly half of the people that attended wanted to know how to use the quote and multiquote buttons.

Near half of people don't understand the concept of proper spelling. Yet they know of the concept of a dictionary. (Sorry, just a point to consider)

How about:

1) better graphics

2) downplaying the quote buttons and making Add Reply the main focus of the users attention

3) ACP option to disable multiquote

1) What would you suggest? Holographic perhaps?
2) Gray out the entire page via CSS, except for the Add Reply button, which would be shining brightly..
3) Definitely! Hadn't thought of that before, but disabling multi-quote ability would be nice. Or to at least limit how many multi-quotes a person can pick at a time (What's the point of selecting 15 quotes if the max you can make in a post is 10?)

I'd agree with everyone's sentiments here... I spend a lot of wasted time nipping in to edit people's posts for unnecessary quoted text just to cut down on database bloat. Larger databases cost more to host.

Don't let my sarcasm worry you, I'm just playing the devils advocate. I really do like your #3 idea.

Just realised I've raised this topic before, back in Dec 2004...

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=157826
That rhymes.

btw my member name has nothing to do with this issue

It's a funny coincidence isn't it? :lol:

Wolfie - You're cruel! ;)

Seconded for option 3 BTW - An option to disable it would be great, but I feel that's no sooner to arrive than the changes. The amount of wasted time editing posts was silly till I changed the graphics to those from blair. No problems since then!

Fix:

ACP -> General Settings -> Topics & Posts
Add new setting, type: Yes/No, key "multi_quote_yesno", default "1"

Skin Management -> Topic View -> Render Row
Find

{$post['delete_button']}{$post['edit_button']}<a href="#" onclick="multiquote_add({$post['pid']}); return false;" title="{ipb.lang['mq_title']}">{$post['mq_start_image']}</a><a href="{ipb.script_url}act=Post&amp;CODE=02&amp;f={ipb.input[f]}&amp;t={ipb.input[t]}&amp;qpid={$post['pid']}" title="{ipb.lang['tt_reply_to_post']}"><{P_QUOTE}></a> </div>

<div align="right">

Change to

{$post['delete_button']}{$post['edit_button']} <if="ipb.vars['multi_quote_yesno'] == "1""> <a href="#" onclick="multiquote_add({$post['pid']}); return false;" title="{ipb.lang['mq_title']}">{$post['mq_start_image']}</a> </if> <a href="{ipb.script_url}act=Post&amp;CODE=02&amp;f={ipb.input[f]}&amp;t={ipb.input[t]}&amp;qpid={$post['pid']}" title="{ipb.lang['tt_reply_to_post']}"><{P_QUOTE}></a> </div>

<div align="right">

Then you can turn it on/off.

I can't seem to figure out what the problem is with how it is now ... its simple logic really.

1) " REPLY is to reply to that specific post (while quoting is involved) the concept is that you are responding to the contents there.
2) +/- QUOTE generates a multiple quote post, therefore you are adding and subtracting the post's content from your to-be-made post.
3) ADDREPLY is a general reply to the topic (not sure that this was an issue).

I agree that being able to disable multiple quotes would be nice (not that I would use it).

Changing the buttons is pointless ... use simple logic and you will select the correct button.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what worked for me...

- REMOVED the multi-quote script and image from the render page since nobody ever multi-quotes anyway on my forum

- Left the quote button as-is, and CHANGED the p_quote image to say QUOTE instead of REPLY.

So now there's just a quote button (I think that's the way it used to be anyway)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived