Quote & Multi Quote

Guest KamWest

What really bugs me about IPB 2.0 is the quote reply button.

Most people are replying using that and it virtually doubles the database size. The two buttons in the post should be called multi quote and quote. Then maybe they they should have a proper reply button in the post instead of just at the top and bottom of the page.

Most inexperienced users automatically use that button to reply because they don't know any better.

Just a small point, I don't know if anyone else agrees with me or not.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could always make a pinned/closed topic that that explains the differences between +Quote, "Reply, FastReply and AddReply in a brief format and then direct people to use the help feature for further information.

Then in the email that is sent out for validation, you could have (in upper case print) a note saying to "please read this short note" - under that saying that the board has some powerful replying functions that are explained in that topic (providing a link to the topic you made, of course).

If kept brief enough then most people (even lazy people) will generally look at it and if you include images for the 4 buttons then it'll make it extremely easy to remember. Many will probably focus onto one of them such as Reply being a quoting feature, but even then it should cut down on your database size.

:)

I can see where there could be confusion, I was only giving you an idea to try in an effort to reduce the problem in the meantime. I like that "Multi Quote" idea, but with it maybe having a small "unchecked" box with it so that when it's selected, it will turn the box red and with the box checked. "Reply" could be "Quoted Reply" and hovering the mouse over the buttons could give detailed information such as the Multi-Quote saying "Add/remove this post for multiple quoting when using the ADDREPLY button" and the Quoted-Reply saying "Add a reply only quoting this post"

What really bugs me about IPB 2.0 is the quote reply button.

Most people are replying using that and it virtually doubles th database size. The two buttons in the post should be called multi quote and quote. Then maybe they they should have a proper reply button in the post instead of just at the top and bottom of the page.

Most inexperienced users automatically use that button to reply because they don't know any better.

Just a small point, I don't know if anyone else agrees with me or not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you completely - loads of people have trouble understanding this. It's a great feature BUT presented in a very confusing way. I agree that three buttons would make things a lot easier - reply (as in just open the posting screen), quote (as in quote this post) and mutltiquote (meaning quote several posts).

• 4 weeks later...

I came here looking for an answer to this same problem. I'd estimate a third to half of my new members are using quote reply, when they intend to use add reply. :ermm:

Other than changing the text from " reply, to quote, or just removing this button, any ideas for a fix? It's very annoying. :ph34r:

It's like I said they ned to add a reply button and have

Multi Quote

All you have to do is look at this site to see how many people respond using the "Reply instead of ADDREPLY.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Theres already an add Reply button at the top and bottom of the topic and also the fast reply so theres no need to add a reply button next to the quote and multi quote buttons.

You don't need to make a mod either you just need to change the 2 graphics so they say.

Multi Quote and Quote.

Problem solved,

I do agree with you though it is very confusing for members the way it is currently and needs changing for the next release.

Guest REBELinBLUE

I can see where there could be confusion, I was only giving you an idea to try  in an effort to reduce the problem in the meantime.  I like that "Multi Quote" idea, but with it maybe having a small "unchecked" box with it so that when it's selected, it will turn the box red and with the box checked.  "Reply" could be "Quoted Reply" and hovering the mouse over the buttons could give detailed information such as the Multi-Quote saying "Add/remove this post for multiple quoting when using the ADD[b]REPLY[/b] button" and the Quoted-Reply saying "Add a reply only quoting this post"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does o_O Multiquote turns red at the + symbolising add changes to - to remove.

The hover text is "Toggle Multiquote Addition", the reply is "Reply directly to this vote"

The problem remains that Reply = quote and in most cases it's pointless in the extreme to quote a post that's already right there for anyone to see. Quoting should be rare and for a specific reason - to clarify context, to respond to different parts of a post point by point, to bring in something from another page, to bring an off-topic thread back to the original topic by restating the topic, etc.

It's seems fairly clear (at least on my board) that many inexperienced users don't intend to quote and are confused when they hit what seems like the logical button, placed right there in the post they are reading ... Reply ... and the post is quoted. The lazy don't bother to edit the quote; the careful are afraid to touch anything in the box but manage to add their comment; the timid just bail, often leaving behind a quoted repeat of the immediately preceding post and nothing else. Does anyone else see this on their boards? I see it a lot.

Why users don't say, "Eh? What's all this then? <delete, delete>" I don't know. But it drives me crazy. I know, that's a personal problem. Now failing to use Preview Post, that's another issue but I don't blame the Reply button for that. Also having mentioned it at all GUARANTEES my own post will be defective :P

It does o_O Multiquote turns red at the + symbolising add changes to - to remove.

The hover text is "Toggle Multiquote Addition", the reply is "Reply directly to this vote"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Consider what I said and why I said it. I know what clicking the Quote button does.

But some people might not understand what the +/- means, where they would understand what a check box (empty or checked) does mean. If it's checked, then it's being included. Also sometimes seeing a + or a - to a person means "+ is being added, - is being skipped"

Oh, and the hover text is "Reply directly to this post". Not to the vote.

The mere fact that we are discussing this shows there is a legitimate concern.

As stated before, a good 50 to 60% of new users will use it as a reply button. Only the forum regulars (who are familiar with Invision) know not to use this button.

I agree this is a widespread problem that should be addressed.

Why does there even need to be a multi-quote, and quote reply button. Don't they do the same thing? If you multi-quote one reply -- it's a quote reply. Select it on multiple posts, and it's multi-quote.

I may remove the reply quote button all together, or mod it so that it functions as reply.

There's a good thread on alternate multiquote images here:
http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...opic=150038&hl=

(Multi-)Quote allows you to select one or more posts to quote.

The Reply button quotes that message and automatically takes you to the add-reply screen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I knew there must be a difference. ;)

So any other ideas on a workaround to keep newbies from scattering quote replies all over? >_<

The big problem is that the button is called reply.

Make a couple of new buttons and name them
Quote and Multi Quote (problem solved)

Maybe someone good with photoshop could post a couple.
Mind you don't forget about the pink active Multi quuote button.

I may remove the reply quote button all together, or mod it so that it functions as reply.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, I think that removing the reply button altogether might be a good solution. That makes quoting one (or more!) posts a conscious act - hit the quote button "Yes, I want to quote this message" and then do what? Add Reply. It does force the user to go to the bottom of the page, but I would have hoped people would read all replies BEFORE adding their own reply, so that shouldn't be a real inconvenience.

You know, I think that removing the reply button altogether might be a good solution. That makes quoting one (or more!) posts a conscious act - hit the quote button "Yes, I want to quote this message" and then do what? Add Reply. It does force the user to go to the bottom of the page, but I would have hoped people would read all replies BEFORE adding their own reply, so that shouldn't be a real inconvenience.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like this option as well, for sure people would then only use the quote function when they actually intend to quote.

The trouble is MULITQUOTE just barely fit on the button, and I didn't think it looked right.

[b]Multi Quote+[/b] and [b]Multi Quote-[/b] Would require a font change, or a larger button. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your Quote button is perfect

Can you make a couple, one pink one blue that look like this

"Multi
Putting the quote in front is more like the ones used in the skin and Multi would probably look better than Multiple.

It's been a big problem for us. It doesn't help that they moved the edit-quote buttons from the top of the posts to the bottom. They're clicking the wrong buttons all over the place. We've had lots of people hit the "Reply -- BECAUSE IT SAYS REPLY. Good grief! Don't you guys have any non-techies look at these things? :) They think the " is some kind of design squiggle. And Quote + that turns a different color for -.....well, that's not a help. We've gotten lots of frustrated emails -- how do I Quote?

I think these changes were ill-advised. We have two boards, and are reluctant to upgrade the second because of this, primarily.

Archived