Poll suggestion

Guest Yuksel

I agree. Polling is one of the weakest features on IPB. There is a LOT of room for improvement.
Examples:
1) Multiple polling questions.
2) Multiple polling types. IE. Select top 3 choices. (or 4 or 2 or ect)
3) More allowable choices (not limited to 10 only)
4) Settable Start and Stop times.
5) Settable "No viewing until Stop time"
6) Settable No viewing without voting. Also allow viewing without wasting your vote.

This is one area where the old perl-powered UBB.Classic just plain wipes the floor with IPB. Kind of embarassing really. It was one of the main reasons it took me so long to switch to Invision in the first place. And I still don't bother with the wimpy IPB poll all that often.

Ok here are some ideas I have for polls.. Just reply in support of the ideas you like the most.. :)

Scheduled polls including date/time to start AND date/time to end and make the results available for viewing.

Ability to see WHO voted (but NOT their choice(s))

Multiple-choice (checkbox and/or multi-select box)

Multiple polls per topic/thread

Admin settable privacy where no results are displayed until after at least "X" number of people have voted. (Default settable but can be changed per poll).

• When privacy is on, a notice announcing the privacy could be displayed to let the member know that results are set to be completely confidential.
  • The "X" number would require (say 3, 5, 10, etc) people to vote to make the privacy available.
  • Could be set to let the poll-creator to turn privacy on for the poll or not.
Ability to require a vote before the results can be seen AND/OR before a reply can be made on the topic.

Option to close a poll while keeping the thread open.

Option to close a thread while keeping the poll open.

Advanced option: Graphical displays of the outcomes. :)

(Edit/Add: Also stats showing how many polls member made / voted in)

:-"

I definitely support you all on that request.

I would also add the option to be able to see farther than *who* voted : what where their choice(s)?

Why would I want that, you will ask me? Well, I often organize meetings with groups of people on my board. I'd like to be able to poll for the days they'd be available *and* to see who isn't available on some day, so I can decide when it's acceptable to fix the meeting even though not everybody is available.

I agree.  Polling is one of the weakest features on IPB.  There is a LOT of room for improvement.

Examples:

2) Multiple polling types.  IE.  Select top 3 choices. (or 4 or 2 or ect)

5) Settable "No viewing until Stop time"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I overlooked those two before..
#2, making minimum and maximum choices.. That way you could have an "up to 3" so 1 to 3 could be picked, or a "pick 3" where 3 is the only number of choices that can be picked.
#5, not being able to see until the vote is ended.. Like that one too. :)

Examples:

3) More allowable choices (not limited to 10 only)

6) Settable No viewing without voting.  Also allow viewing without wasting your vote.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#3, in AdminCP, in the "Topics, Posts and Polls" configuration, you can select the maximum number of options a poll may have.
#6, Same configuration area, you can make it so that a person can view the results without losing their ability to vote in that poll. I can't recall how it acts with it set the other way (if it requires a vote first or if you can view the results but you lose your ability to vote). Either way, for requiring a vote (or not requiring it), and being viewable should be selectable per poll, since some polls may be important and require impartial voting (ie, not see the results then deciding how to vote) where others may just be open for fun.

Yup.  Something needs to be done.  Those sound good, though I don't need all the ones you listed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest, neither do I. But I made that list with the idea of what others, especially with very busy or serious boards.. Also I think some of those ideas would squash any thoughts some people may have about lame forum software being better than IPB.. IPB may not be THE best, but it's certainly one of the best that I've ever seen. :)

I would also add the option to be able to see farther than *who* voted : what where their choice(s)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even with the reason given, it's not a good idea because there are some admins that would abuse it and if members realize that the admin can see what they voted, then they might not give their true votes (if they vote at all) for fear of it coming back at them.

Why would I want that, you will ask me?  Well, I often organize meetings with groups of people on my board.  I'd like to be able to poll for the days they'd be available *and* to see who isn't available on some day, so I can decide when it's acceptable to fix the meeting even though not everybody is available.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are alternative methods..

You could have a forum, for example, where all posts are moderated. Then you post a topic telling people to give you the days (and times too!) that they are available. Once they post that information, you can see it but no one else can. Then you close the topic when necessary with a post telling when the meeting will be. (Or post when the meeting will be but leave it open, then if someone can't make it then can let you know and you can close the topic when the meeting is over and even give a summary of what took place) ... The beauty of this idea is that only you (or SuperMods or those made moderators of that forum) can see the replies, which do NOT have to be "approved/disapproved", and important notes can be included while everything is kept confidential.

Lemme know if that idea helps you any. :-"

Even with the reason given, it's not a good idea because there are some admins that would abuse it and if members realize that the admin can see what they voted, then they might not give their true votes (if they vote at all) for fear of it coming back at them.

There are alternative methods..

You could have a forum, for example, where all posts are moderated.  [...]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its really about *everyone* being able to see the results, not only the admin. Its something that can't be used every time, but there definitely are times when it is proper to let people see what the others think or replied, as Telemacus pointed out, as long as they are warned about it.

Your idea of moderated forums is a fix that could be done, although it would give more job to the meeting planner. One thing that wouldn't work really well for me is that it hinders the members in not being able to write something that can be read from all the other members (if you, like me, want that to be possible). I know it could be possible, when you see a post that targets not only you but everybody, to make it visible, but the members wouldn't really want to write knowing that people won't right now be allowed to see what they wrote. It appears to me that the meeting planning objective is met (with a little more work) but not the discussional one.

I hope my words sound good, I'm not really an English person... ;)

Another problem with using the poll idea is that once a person selects the days, if something changes then they can't go back and change it.

Perhaps new kind of post called "form posting" (or "profile posting" or "selection posting") that would be like a poll in that you can submit questions with optionally set limited answers (or leaving them open to any input), then as each person adds an answer, so long as the topic is open, they can go back and edit their responses..

Q: [What days would you be able to attend a meeting during the week of (mm/dd/yyyy to mm/dd/yyyy)?]

A:  [Open|[b]Limited[/b]|Both] Lines:[Single|[b]Multiple[/b]] Answer:[[b]Required[/b]|Optional]

([i]for limited/both, drop down box appears[/i])

Sunday

Monday

Friday

Saturday

Q: [What issue(s) would you like to discuss at the meeting?] A:  [Open|Limited|Both] Lines:[Single|Multiple] Answer:[Required|Optional]

New members

Promotional

[single/multiline box here]

Try to imagine that in an html style view.. :lol:

First one would limit the answers to the options provided, which multiple choices could be selected.
Second would give both optional answers to use (multiple can be picked) and a multi-line box would appear underneath of the last option to let people fill in their own responses.

If open were to be selected then only a single or multi-line box would appear to fill in. If Limited/Both were selected but with Single for the lines, then only one option could be choosen.

Probably best to use buttons/checkboxes, in a columnizing format (sorted downward but into two columns) to try to cut down on space..

Then when a person fills it out, it might show up like this:

[b]Q: What days would you be able to attend a meeting during the week of (mm/dd/yyyy to mm/dd/yyyy)?[/b]

A:  [Sunday] [Tuesday] [Friday]

[b]Q: What issue(s) would you like to discuss at the meeting?[/b]

A:  [Promotional]

[whatever addition text the member typed would go on a separate line if they choose one or more of the premade options]

The questions would be bolded to stick out, the answers would be grouped together to conserve space but boxed to make them easier to tell apart. If they skipped one, then it could show "No Answer" like that for questions that are optional.

I hope that makes sense.
:rolleyes: :blink: :-"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd like to see polls enhanced. I would really like to be able to see who voted for which option and also to randomly pick a user that voted for a specific option: effectively a competition poll. I'd also like to be able to surveys via polls, but not have to set up one poll per thread/question.

I'd like to see polls enhanced. 

[b]I would really like to be able to see who voted for which option[/b]

and also to randomly pick a user that voted for a specific option: effectively a competition poll.  I'd also like to be able to surveys via polls, but not have to set up one poll per thread/question.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really frown upon the idea of being able to see what each member voted. To me it can affect the outcome of a poll/survey if the member knows or feels that their votes are being recorded and their choices can be seen.

I really frown upon the idea of being able to see what each member voted.  To me it can affect the outcome of a poll/survey if the member knows or feels that their votes are being recorded and their choices can be seen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, in a competition poll I can see your point. All my members will think, "Oh no, Admin can see what I voted for. This is pressuring me into selecting the correct answer."

Sounds great to me ;-)

It's also the same concept to me as being able to do password retrieval. When I was using ikonBoard, and got a bit irked at the lack of speed, I started looking for .php based boards. One of the selected requirements was that the passwords be encrypted. I believe highly in privacy and freedom and a persons opinion in a poll should remain private (but also I do reserve the right to invade that privacy, ie PM's and such if necessary) If it's for trying to coordinate something, then that's not a poll per say and in my opinion doesn't justify the risk of the feature being abused.

Please remember that the ability to choose either a private poll or a public poll would solve all the privacy problems. When someone is about to vote, he'd be warned: "beware that this is a PUBLIC" poll. If the poll was created choosing the "private" option, then there are no privacy problems.
There are many situations where a public poll is usefull.
I really hope that this is implemented one day.

Please remember that the ability to choose either a private poll or a public poll would solve all the privacy problems. When someone is about to vote, he'd be warned: "beware that this is a PUBLIC" poll. If the poll was created choosing the "private" option, then there are no privacy problems.

There are many situations where a public poll is usefull.

I really hope that this is implemented one day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, such sense :-)

Archived