About This File
Mail Bouncer is a fully automated app to handle email bounces and spam complaints via 3rd Party Email services SparkPost, SendGrid, Mandrill or Amazon SES/SNS.
- Hard Bounce If a hard bounce is detected, all email to that user will be instantly disabled, they will be placed into 'validating' status which means that IPS4 will prevent them accessing the community until they have updated their email address.
- Soft Bounce Soft bounces are counted over a number of days, if they exceed 1 bounce a warning message will be shown, if they exceed 4 bounces it will be converted to a 'hard bounce'
- Spam reports via Mandrill, SparkPost, SendGrid or Amazon SES/SNS are when a user clicks on 'Spam' in AOL/Gmail/YahooMail etc, this user is blocked from having emails sent to them. The user is presented with a message on every page that tells them that they should update their email preferences instead of marking an email as spam. They are offered a chance to opt-in to emails again, once they opt-in the Mandrill side block is also removed. Removing 'Spam' users from the services reject list may cost a small amount of reputation. To prevent a user exploiting this they are only allowed to opt-in once.
- Reject Mail Bouncer app will learn your existing reject list as emails are sent to them (this won't hurt your reputation), This allows the app to start telling users to update their email address right away.
This app is a zero-configuration app providing your Mandrill/SparkPost/SendGrid API Key setting is present (zero configuration does not include Amazon SES/SNS).
Setting up Amazon SES/SNS is a more involved process, you will be responsible for configuring SNS and ensuring that it is functional and sending data to the Mail Bouncer SNS endpoint (details displayed after app installation).
- You must use Mandrill, SparkPost, SendGrid or Amazon SES Email Services
- Ability for your server to communicate with 3rd party APIs (external connections)
If you require any support for this product please create a Technical Support ticket in the Client Area. You will need to register an account if you do not already have one. You must supply your IPS Community email address.
What's New in Version 3.2.1 See changelog
This is a mostly a maintenance release.
- 'Validation messages' on the AdminCP member list and member profiles will now say if the validation is triggered by Mail Bouncer
- Fixed a Sparkpost API error showing up when Sparkpost is no longer being used
- Updated the AWS SNS library
- Added a HTTP client wrapper for the SNS library (no longer requires `allow_url_fopen` to be enabled)